Wednesday 18 September 2013

CHILDHOOD STORIES: Why I Ate My Boogers

As I child, I ate my boogers. Openly. Incessantly. Proudly.
My parents must have been desperate. They couldn't make me stop in any way. My parents failed to figure out why I did this. Or why I even encouraged other children to do it. 

If they had known why, maybe they could have stopped me. It all started with a penguin.


On a family trip to the zoo, we met this guy:

Lions in Japan - Macaroni Penguin

I asked why this new penguin had yellow thingies on his head.
"That's spaghetti," my father said.
"Yes," added my mother. "When he's starving, he can eat it."


Woa. How mesmerizing, the wonders of nature! A built-in food factory? Amazing!
It didn't take me long to realize that we, humans, also had such a food factory.

Lions in Japan - noses are food factories - boogers !



Finally I understood why my nose made icky boogers all the time! I was lacking food!
So I started eating my boogers. As nature had intended.

Day in, day out, my nose continued to provide boogers, signaling my lack of sufficient nutrition. I noticed boogers in other children's noses. Eager to save them from starvation, I convinced many, many fellow toddlers to join me eating the fruits of my immune system.


Too bad they didn't taste like spaghetti.

Lions in Japan - Eating my Boogers

~Closing Note~
Yes, I did eventually realize that the penguin didn't carry spaghetti around. Moral of the story: don't listen to your parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment